Hors d’oeuvres and dips are common fare around the holiday season, particularly for New Year’s Eve parties, but this crab dip is perfect for any time of year. Whether you are ushering in a new year or just having game night with the family, it is the perfect snack for any occasion.
- 2- 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 bunch of green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup of mayonnaise
- 3 cans of flaked crab meat (6 oz. cans), drained
- 1/4 tsp. of granulated garlic (garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp. of salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 round loaf of your favorite crusty bread (1 pound)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. (175 C)
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, onion, garlic power, pepper, and salt.
- Mix until combined thoroughly and gently fold in the flaked crab meat.
- Spread the mixture into a 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for around 20 minutes.
- While the dip bakes, cut a circle from the top of the bread loaf and hollow out the inside to create a bowl. Tear or cut the bread that was removed into small pieces for dipping.
- After 20 minutes, take the heated crab dip out of the oven and stir thoroughly. Spoon the dip into the hollowed out portion of the bread. Place the pieces of bread, along with the bread bowl, on a large baking sheet and return it to the over for another 10 minutes or until bread pieces are slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve while still hot.
This dip is wonderful just as it is and can be used with bread pieces, pita chips, or crackers as well. The crab meat can be substituted with shrimp, bacon, or any other type of meat that you prefer and it will be just as delicious. For those who don’t like meat, use a variety of steamed, chopped vegetables in its place.